Pinoy Violinists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Home  Search  Latest images  Register  Log in  

Share | 

On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Halimaw_Sa_Banga
Bachendorff
Bachendorff
Halimaw_Sa_Banga

On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. Vide
PostSubject: On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc.   On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 11:40 am

Hello everyone! I hope you can help me out. For the last 24 hours that I have been a member, I have read a lot about "getting your violin setup" to somehow improve the sound of your violin. I think I am getting a little hope :)

See, my fiancée gave me a Hofner for a gift two years ago. Ito yung Hofner na nasa PhP 5,000.00 na price range. For a time naging happy naman ako sa kanya kasi talagang malaki ang diperensiya ng tunog, lalo na kung ikukumpara sa una kong violin na Parrot na grabe talaga sa hindi kagandahan ng tunog kahit ano ang gawin ko. (I scored this for PhP 1,800.00) Anyway nung malaon, napansin ko na medyo "metallic" yung tunog ng violin ko. Mahirap ipaliwanag talaga on concrete terms. Let's just say na kung ikukumpara mo sa tunog ng violin ng iba na medyo mas pricey, masyado siyang matinis. It's not about the skill, folks, I am talking about the sound that it makes. And do not get me started on the pegs, omg =/ Marami ang mapapangiwi pag sinabi ko na gumagamit ako ng pliers para lang maipihit ko ang mga pegs every time na magtu-tune ako. I guess what I am looking for is a sound that is "warm and dark".

I tried asking around if there was any chance na ma-improve ang tunog ng violin ko. (Back then I didn't know that there were people like Mang Amador and Mang Anghel) And most violin shops I've been to tell me, my teacher as well, that nothing can be done about it. Then as luck would have it, may nagbigay sa akin ng cel no ni Mang Amador, and I was amazed kasi napaka accommodating naman niya sa mga tanong ko. Ang advice niya ay i-try ko munang gumamit ng better strings at lagyan ng rubber fittings yung bridge. I did the latter, so medyo na mask yung metallic sound niya, pero yung walang revolutionary changes sa tunog niya. I was able to buy for myself a Bachendorff na tig PhP 15,000.00 last year, and zOMG, I was really satisfied.

Ayoko naman pabayaan yung Hofner ko because it was my fiancée's gift. I want to use it. Nung nabasa ko na yung mga violins na kagaya nung Hofner ko ay puwedeng ma-improve by getting it set-up, nabuhayan naman ako ng loob. Never mind the cosmetics, what matters to me is the sound. And since you guys have been to a luthier for a setup, I would just like to know.

On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. 40591

1. Can changing strings from the default ones to more expensive ones improve the tone, like, make it warmer, and deeper?
2. If so, what can you recommend?
3. On getting my violin set-up, what does this cover, aside from fixing the bridge and sound posts?
4. Is it really going to improve the sound?

I am asking these because I know visiting a luthier and hiring their services does not come cheap. And I have been told na malamang higit pa sa worth nung violin yung ilalabas ko to get it primed. I am not an affluent person, I just happen to love music and my violins. So I am willing to save and spend if needed, as long as I know that my spending would be worth it.

I would appreciate your input on this, everyone. Thank you so much in advance.
Back to top Go down
"H" Kittyback TigerFlames
Sobrang Spammer. Di na nagprapraktis

PostSubject: Re: On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc.   On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi Amrita

1. Can changing strings from the default ones to more expensive ones improve the tone, like, make it warmer, and deeper?

The Kind of strings You use will (some how but not totally) determine the sound of your violin. Basically, there are 3 kinds of strings for Violin.
a) Sheep Gut strings - oldest known strings with sweet and mellow sound. Expensive and sensitive
b) Steel strings - cheap, pero matinis.. hindi madali mawala sa tono.
c) Synthetic core (Perlon core aka Nylon-6) - a hybrid string retaining the sweetness and mellow sound of Gut and the durability of the steel strings..

2. If so, what can you recommend?

May mga Branded strings like Thomastik Dominants that would cost around 2.5k per set...
You can also try Warchal strings, It's just slightly cheaper than dominants.

(Kung tipid naman, you can PM me so I can help you buy a set of Chinese made Perlon core string at 400 per set. Tinda siya ng kaibigan ko and most of PV members ordered thru me.. Magdadala ako sa January 14. You can attend our Group meeting so we can explain more about violin.. )

3. On getting my violin set-up, what does this cover, aside from fixing the bridge and sound posts?

Kung maganda ang angle ng neck, then no need for neck reset. Bridge adjustment can improve the sound of the violin by channeling vibration, effectively and adjust the string height for a more comfortable playing.. walang sabit.

The Tuning pegs are also tightened or loosened up considerably for easier tuning.. No need to use pliers for tuning your violin On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. 112191

4. Is it really going to improve the sound?

Yes It will Improve noticeably.. And if you are satisfied with the comfort in playing your violin brought about by the Luthier's set up, then not only the sound will improve but also your playing.. On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. 760439
Back to top Go down
Halimaw_Sa_Banga
Bachendorff
Bachendorff
Halimaw_Sa_Banga

PostSubject: Re: On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc.   On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:15 pm

@Cute Worm I see. I appreciate the reply. At least I understood it a little better, since for the most part walang matinong sagot na maibigay ang mga pinagtanungan ko. Is this meet up going to be before the PPO concert? Because if so, I'll be there.

I'll PM you later regarding the strings.

Thanks muchly ^^
Back to top Go down
"H" Kittyback TigerFlames

PostSubject: Re: On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc.   On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Welcome... Buong 14 nasa manila ako..

Basta magdadala lang ako ng mga strings and other accessories na tinda ng friend ko.. Kasi nung last EB, nagdala ako, may mga bumili kasi on the spot.. lalo na yung strings.. Kahit pano good buy naman yung tinda ng friend ko na strings for the price.. Just attend the EB and we can help you about your queries..

Cguro around sampaloc area ang meeting place.. either sa Studio nila Liza or mag meet muna sa isetann Recto before going to the studio.. mga around lunch time or after lunch
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc.   On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc. Empty

Back to top Go down

On Getting Your Violin Set-Up, etc.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pinoy Violinists :: Luthier's Corner :: General Violin Discussion-